BMW is known to produce premium cars with hefty price tags, luxurious interiors, monstrous engines, and classy vehicles that are fun to drive. For over a century, the brand’s reputation has grown and it is regarded as a household name in luxury segment cars.
But with evolving times and challenging situations, BMW adopted the green initiative and expanded its portfolio to add young, energetic buyers. All this by producing smart and fuel-efficient cars, that don’t drink gas like a horse and still offer a premium driving experience.
Let’s have a look at the 3 Best BMWs for daily driving, which are great for utility and still perform well with excellent economy.
Is BMW Good for Daily Driving?
BMW can be a great daily driver, with its comfortable seats, luxurious interiors, and dependable performance, it is one of the ideal choices among premium cars. Newer BMWs are not so thirsty and can offer great MPG figures, keeping their luxury and utility intact.
Pros of BMW as a daily driver
- Compact in size, easy to drive and maneuver.
- Spacious and comfortable interior, for relaxed daily driving.
- Latest safety and infotainment tech, keeping you entertained and safe at the same time.
- With up to 45 MPG, your wallet isn’t gonna lose weight so quickly.
- With reliable powertrains and sturdy build quality, your BMW is not going to give up on you.
Cons of BMW as a daily driver
- Maintenance is costly, and daily driving can bring the intervals pretty frequently.
- Parts are expensive, and so are the repairs. Daily use can expose it to accidents, scratches, or bumps. It can be costly and heartbreaking.
- Insurance is also expensive.
1. BMW 3 Series
BMW 3 Series – 320i is a compact 4-door sedan with a spacious interior, comfortable seating, the latest safety and tech features, ample storage in the trunk, and friendly fuel economy. With everything that 3 Series has to offer, it is surely the best BMW for daily driving.
Why is BMW 320i good for daily driving?
The following aspects make the BMW 320i, one of the best cars for daily driving.
- Powered by a 2.0L engine, which delivers a superb 40 MPG fuel economy, it is ideal for city commuting and not so heavy on pocket. This is the most promising aspect which makes 320i an ideal choice for daily driving.
- Smart size, wireless charging for the phone, multiple storage bins, and wireless connectivity options enhance the daily driving experience.
- A smaller turning radius makes 320i an ideal choice for tight spaces.
- It also has ample trunk space with hooks and trays for better usage.
- 3 driving modes, with eco being ideal for city usage.
- A suite of safety and driver assistance features make sure that you’re always looked after on the road, and protected in case of a mishap.
- It features front & rear parking sensors, a rearview camera, blind-spot monitoring, and a lane-keep assist for an enhanced driving experience.
Trending Video: How to Easily Bring Back to Life any Old Car Battery and Save Tons of Money (click to watch)
Which engine to choose?
The engine best suited for daily driving in a BMW 3 series is the B48 2.0L inline 4-cylinder engine. It has ample power and still offers a respectable fuel economy.
With a claimed mileage of up to 40 MPG, it is a great option.
The yearly maintenance cost of a BMW 320i is $1,350, this doesn’t include fuel and major repairs.
320i is a very reliable car with sturdy build quality and a solid powertrain. With proper maintenance, it would easily last 250,000 miles or more without requiring a rebuild.
Edmund’s reliability: 4.2/5 Star
Also read: Mercedes vs. BMW- Which is Cheaper to Maintain?
2. BMW 5 Series
For decades, BMW 5 Series has ruled the mid-size luxury sedan segment. Now with a more refined powertrain, smarter driving capabilities, and undeniable luxury, it is one of the best BMWs to have as a daily driver. 5 Series features an array of safety & convenience options, just to make daily driving more fun and secure.
Why is BMW 530e good for daily driving?
The following aspects make the BMW 530e, one of the best cars for daily driving.
- BMW 530e boasts a 2.0L twin-turbo engine and an electric motor, which churns out a mind-boggling 64 MPG fuel economy, it is unbeatable in its class and a superb choice for commuting. Engine performance is the major highlighting fact that puts the BMW 530e on the list of best daily driven BMWs.
- With Ample storage spaces, wireless charging, cordless connectivity with Apple CarPlay & Android Auto, the inside of the BMW 530e is full of convenience.
- With optional rear-wheel steering, it turns like a hatchback and makes city driving easier.
- 530e also has a huge trunk with folding rear seats. Luggage is not going to be a problem on daily journeys.
- Eco mode offers range leading 64 MPG, the ideal mode to use daily for perfect mileage.
- The bundle of safety features includes collision mitigation, driver attention, blind-spot monitoring, lane keep assist, and adaptive cruise control.
- It features front & rear parking sensors, a rearview camera with a 360o view, and adaptive headlamps for an enhanced driving experience.
Which engine to choose?
The best engine to pick with your BMW 5 Series is the 2.0L twin-turbo engine. It has enough power and gets support from electric motors for instant torque and superb fuel economy.
With a mileage of up to 64 MPG, there’s no alternative to 530e.
The yearly maintenance cost of a BMW 530e is $1,650, excluding fuel and major repairs.
530e is a fairly reliable BMW with a solid engine and sturdy motor. If maintained properly, it would easily last 300,000 miles without living in a workshop.
Edmund’s reliability: 4/5 Star
Also read: Does BMW Keep Value? (8 Models Depreciation Charts)
3. BMW X2
BMW X2 is the younger member of the SUV family and is compact in size, but packs all the punch that you want from a sports coupe crossover. Powered by a solid engine, packing enough space inside, a modifiable cargo area, and the latest technology, BMW X2 is a treat to have for daily driving. Apart from all the praise, it has a very good fuel economy record as well.
Why is BMW X2 good for daily driving?
Here’s why BMW X2 is one of the best BMWs for daily driving.
- With a 2.0L engine and an 8-speed auto transmission, it offers a superb 35 MPG fuel economy. X2 is ideal for city usage and not so heavy on pocket. This is the most promising aspect which makes X2 a perfect candidate for daily driving.
- Wireless charging for the phone, 10.8” multimedia, different storage bins, and wireless connectivity with BMW iDrive ameliorates the daily driving routine.
- Compact size and a smaller turning radius make it very easy to maneuver in tricky spaces.
- A considerable cargo area with modifiable space and accessories for better usage.
- Multiple driving modes based on the mood for daily usage.
- A whole range of safety and advanced driver assistance features ensure that you’re always safe on the road, no matter which time of the day.
- ADAS includes front & rear parking sensors, blind-spot monitoring, emergency braking with warning and a lane-keep assist for ultimate driving experience.
Also read: 3 Best Mercedes for Daily Driving (With Low MPG)
Which engine to choose?
The best engine in BMW X2 is the 2.0L inline 4-cylinder engine. It packs considerable power and has good fuel economy as well.
BMW X2 can deliver a respectable 35 MPG mileage, making it ideal as a premium daily driver.
The yearly maintenance cost of a BMW X2 is $1,400
BMW X2 has the same reliability as other members of the family and with proper care, it can be a very durable daily driver, promising great performance & dependability.
Edmund’s reliability: 4/5 Star