Leaving the radio, flashlight, or low beam light on overnight in your Nissan Altima may lead to a dead battery in the morning.
To help you solve this problem, we have put together the causes and solutions for an open trunk and dead battery in this article. Read on to know more!
Nissan Altima- A General Overview
The Nissan Altima is a family sedan that comes with an available all-wheel drive, a spacious cabin, and sharp looks.
You can choose between a 248-hp turbocharged variable-compression unit or a 182-hp base engine for power. It is quite fuel-efficient and features a continuously variable automatic transmission.
The car offers 39 mpg for highway driving which helps ensure increased efficiency. You also get a 12.3-inch infotainment screen, comfortable seating, and a roomy interior. It also comes with various safety features to help make the ride safe and comfortable.
Why is The Trunk of My Nissan Altima Not Opening?
There could be multiple reasons for the trunk of your Nissan Altima not opening:
- Dead Battery:
One of the major reasons for this is a dead battery. Battery is the power house which is responsible for working of all electrical equipment in a car. If the battery is dead, it will not be able to send a signal and open the trunk by pressing the button.
- Electric Solenoid Goes Bad:
The car has an electric solenoid that helps release the latch of the trunk. It is an electric circuit which interprets the signal received from the button and carries out the function of opening the trunk. If this electronic solenoid goes bad, you might not be able to open the trunk of your car.
- Broken Trunk Lock
This one is the most obvious, I guess. The lock of your trunk might be broken due to which you are not able to unlock it.
How Do You Open the Trunk of Nissan Altima with a Dead Battery?
If your car battery is dead, you will not be able to use the centralized locking system to open the car trunk. In such a situation, follow the steps below to open your car trunk:
- Flip over your key to have a look at the other side.
- There is a switch on the key which you can push towards the edge.
- When you do this, the key will release a metal blade.
- Insert this metal blade into the keyhole that is on the driver’s side door.
- To open the door, turn the lade towards the unlock position.
- Enter the car and lower the driver’s seat. This will give you access to the backseat.
- On the back of this seat, there are three slots. One of these helps open the trunk.
- Put the blade in this slot and push it towards the right.
- The trunk will open up with a clicking sound.
You can also try working around the car’s battery to open the trunk.
- Locate the negative and positive terminals of the car battery. The negative terminal will have a green or black cap while the positive terminal will have a red cap.
- Use a screwdriver to help loosen both terminal nuts.
- Make sure the terminals do not touch each other as this could lead to potential damage.
- Loosen both the nuts and then pull off the battery terminals.
- You will see two small metal rods under the battery terminals.
- These are basically the trunk release solenoids.
- Push the solenoid rod on the left side using the screwdriver.
- This will help release the latch and open up the trunk.
What To Do if Trunk is not Opening?
If your car trunk is not opening, the easiest thing to do is to call a locksmith.
This will prevent you from doing any further damage to your car. Auto locksmiths are experienced and trained individuals who will help find a permanent solution for your problem.
However, you can try the following tips as well:
- First, check to see if the latch is stuck or frozen.
- If it is, you can try spraying it with WD-40 or another lubricant.
- If that doesn’t work, you can try using a plunger to try and dislodge the latch.
- Finally, if all else fails, you can always call a tow truck or locksmith to come and help you open the trunk.
Where is the Emergency Trunk Release Located?
The trunk release button is located inside the car. It is either on the trunk’s side panel or on the trunk itself. It allows you to open the trunk in case the battery dies out. To open your trunk, just pull the emergency truck release.
How To Avoid a Dead Battery in Nissan Altima?
The following tips will help you prevent a dead battery in your Nissan Altima:
- Use a battery conditioner or trickle charger:
If you’re not using the car for a long time, trickle chargers will help preserve your battery. They can also help prevent things such as dash cams and immobilizers from draining the battery.
- Avoid turning the vehicle on and off often:
If you’re not using your car for a few days, do not turn the engine on and off. Many people assume that this helps power up the engine. However, it only wears off the battery even more.
- Avoid short trips:
Try not to use your car for short trips if you know that the battery is weak.
- Alternate between vehicles if possible:
It is also a good idea to switch between vehicles if you have more than one available at home. This helps ensure that each car is getting a decent run.
- Unplug unnecessary accessories:
Make sure you unplug all accessories that are not being used. This will help conserve the battery as much as possible.
- Battery must meet vehicle specifications:
If you give up on your old battery and are planning to buy a new one, make sure it meets all the specifications of the vehicle. This helps ensure that the battery can fully power the vehicle.
- What if the key fob battery of my Nissan Altima dies?
Answer: If the key fob battery of your vehicle dies, remove the hidden key. Remove the old battery as well as the key housing. Make sure the negative side is up when you replace the CR2025 battery. Now put together the key fob and it will begin to work again.
- How much does it cost to unlock a car with keys inside?
Answer: If you get locked out of your vehicle, you will most likely have to call a locksmith. This will cost you between $50 and $250.