Who likes to drive a bumpy car with stiff suspension and poor handling while there are so many sophisticated suspension systems around in the market? If you don’t know what a coil-over is? It is an advanced suspension setup that combines both the coil spring and shock absorbers and offers you freedom in your daily driving.
What are some important features of good coil overs? What to look for when buying a Coilover kit for your car? and some of the top Coil Over brands available. I have discussed all these things in detail, so let’s get right to it and help you choose your next Coilover setup.
Table of Contents
Why Choosing the Right Coilovers is so Important?
Coilovers are responsible for your car’s ride height, comfort and suspension, and handling. So, it is important that you choose a compatible assembly that suits your car and driving requirements.
Coilovers replace your car’s suspension setup and give you the freedom to adjust the car’s height, suspension, and steering response.
Once you choose to get Coilovers for your car, it is important that you get the ones that suit your requirements in regards to ride comfort (stiff or soft), handling (sharp or normal), and height adjustment. Also ensure that they are mechanically compatible with your car’s chassis and axles, and don’t alter the camber and other suspension criteria related to the wheels of your car.
You don’t want to spend so much money and time, and later suffer from the bouncy drive and understeer due to poor quality Coilovers.
What are the Features of Good Coilovers?
Some of the important features of good Coilovers include adequate spring rate, ride height adjustment, shear strength, and cornering ability.
Coilovers have become a new favorite among auto enthusiasts, and there is no surprise why! They allow you to adjust the ride height, alter the ride stiffness, handling response, and overall ride quality.
Good Coilovers come with top-quality features, such as a maximum spring rate that allow you to adjust the ride height and stiffness. Additionally, they also come with struts and valves to let you have better terrain response and handling.
A good quality Coilover would also come with dampers, multi-level grooves for adjustment, and electronic stabilizers.
Also read: The Cost of Coilovers Installation (+Tips)
Top 8 Best Coilovers for Your Car
1- Yonaka Full Coilovers Suspension
Yonaka Coilovers are one of the best in the market right now. Featuring an all-aluminum upper mount and fully threaded shock absorbers, competition has no chance against these.
An inner bump stop prevents any type of damage due to rough terrains or bumpy roads. The dampers and ride height adjustment options make it even more desirable and thanks to long-term durability, you can completely rely on these Coilovers for all your performance upgrades.
- Simple design and easy installation process.
- Height adjustment available without shortening springs.
- Aluminum body makes it very robust and durable for long-term usage.
- The instruction manual is very comprehensive.
- The quality of the adjustment tool is not so good and can be improved.
2- BC Racing BR Series Coilovers
Another great option on the list is the BC Racing product which offers unique features. it comes with easy access to fine-tuning and adjustment without any complex tools or techniques.
The suspension response can be easily adjusted with a knob, and it takes only a few seconds. Not only this, but the ride height adjustment is also quite easy, thanks to the concave lower locking option which makes it hassle-free to adjust the height of your car.
With sturdy construction and an easy installation process, this assembly of quality Coilovers would make your daily driving fun and alterable.
- It also has a monotube shock structure.
- Height can be adjusted easily without spring preload and shock stroke.
- Seamless installation process and all tools included in the kit.
- Front camber plates included for alignment.
- Custom spring rates and valving.
- No apparent shortcomings, but the quality of smaller parts in the setup could be better.
3- Skunk2 Pro-S II Coilover Spring
If you’re looking to give your Civic or Integra an upgrade, this might be the ideal choice for you. A great feature of this Coilover setup is its vehicle-specific valving that allows for precise adjustments and fine-tuning of the suspension.
With this thing supporting your car, there would be no oversteer, understeer, or any type of body roll, no matter how fast you maneuver. You enjoy a perfect grip and superb traction with a comfortable ride and perfect feedback, thanks to polyurethane bushings on the Skunk2 Pro-S II Coilovers.
For maximum performance and hassle-free usage, make sure that you follow all the guidelines and don’t misplace any screw or bolt. This is a perfect piece of mechanics for performance enthusiasts and must be on the shopping list when modifying their rides.
- Offers a comfortable and smooth ride.
- It has a unique feature of vehicle-specific valving and independent spring pre-load.
- Perfect cornering with monotube shocks.
- Ride height adjustment.
- Made of a highly durable hard-chrome shaft.
- Requires adjustment once in a while, that too using manual tools.
- Factory adjustments need some tuning.
4- maXpeedingrods Coilovers
It is a great Coilover setup for a range of vehicles and supports the majority of models as well. It tops the rankings in robustness, all due to its 6063 aluminum construction and freedom of usage with adjustable preload spring tension.
Not many Coilovers in the market support such a design and compatibility with such a wide variety of vehicles. Although it offers better handling and cornering, there are a few downsides to it as well, but nothing that would turn you off or hamper your car’s performance in any way.
- There’s no body roll with this Coilover assembly.
- Increased strength and firmness due to 6063 aluminum with the addition of T6.
- Rubber cleats cover and protect the dampers.
- There’s no option of adjusting the dampening.
- Ride quality becomes a bit too stiff.
5- Bilstein B16 Coilovers
Bilstein needs no introduction when it comes to mechanical parts and tuning accessories. These monotube gas shock absorbers are unique in construction and offer superb handling and cornering in all situations.
B16 also has a lightweight threaded body for better weight distribution and a highly versatile 10-stage compression. The rebound settings and 10-layer damping force mechanism offer ultimate performance, comfort, and handling.
If you want a sports car like handling with sharp cornering and traction, Bilstein b16 should be your top choice.
- Monotube shock absorbers for perfect handling.
- 10-stage compression for ideal dampening.
- Agile handling and sports car-like cornering.
- All aluminum construction for reliability.
- Cannot be installed aptly by a layman and has to be done by a professional.
6- Rokkor Tuning Coilovers
Another great product on the list is the Rokkor running Coilovers. These Coilovers offer customized fitting for roadsters and offer superb durability over time, all due to their powder-coated shock absorbers.
The highly capable setup features anodized locking latches, zinc-coated shock absorbers, and epoxy powder-coated spring surfaces. All these features make this Coilover highly sturdy and offer long-term serviceability.
Ride height adjustment, dampening, and cornering, there’s nothing you won’t get with this assembly.
- Let you fine-tune the adjustments according to your needs.
- Highly durable and takes a beating without any problem.
- Ideal for roadsters.
- Can get uncomfortable on rough terrains.
- It could produce a squeaking sound if not perfectly aligned.
7- Tein GSM64 Coilover Kit
A great piece of mechanical artistry, designed specifically for Mazda MX-5. The thread-like adjustable structure makes it easier for installation and fine-tune customization.
It also features a dust boot that protects the surface and body of shock absorbers from debris and contaminants in the environment. Its durability is rock-solid, thanks to its corrosion-free and rust-resistant material used in the construction.
You also get optimal versatility in adjustment, ride height, and ride quality.
- Powder-coated body for long-term durability.
- Offers a very comfortable ride with optimal handling.
- Ride height adjustment available.
- Cannot be used with any vehicle other than Mazda MX-5 Miata.
8- ST Suspensions XTA Coilovers
These highly versatile and sophisticated Coilovers feature the KW Damper technology, which lets you adjust the ride stiffness based on your mood and requirements. It also comes with an adjustable aluminum mount for the fine adjustment of the camber and caster to comply with your performance requirements.
The galvanized strut offers unmatched durability with a continuous thread design for fine-tuning the dampers. To offer perfect driving dynamics, this model features a composite spring perch and a two-piece racing spring system for adapting to the terrain and acceleration input.
- Highly sturdy construction and durable body.
- Sophisticated accessories for perfect dynamics.
- Unparalleled performance and precise handling.
- Repairs can be very costly.
Coilovers have become a fan favorite among auto tuners and motorsports enthusiasts and to no one’s surprise, these things offer immense freedom and unparalleled performance. Having that fine-tuned suspension, handling and cornering is great but it is also crucial that you pick the right setup for your car. Having a messed-up camber, suspension and handling could really become a headache, especially after spending so much money and investing all your efforts.