The 2012 VW Tiguan is a compact yet robust SUV that can easily last in the range of 150,000 to 200,000 miles. This makes it a loyal car that will stay with you for a long time to come.
However, for that to happen, it is of utmost importance that you maintain it well. Number one step in the periodic maintenance of a car is the use of right engine oil in the vehicle.
In this article, we will discuss the correct 2012 VW Tiguan oil type.
Oil Type of 2012 VW Tiguan
The recommended oil type for the 2012 VW Tiguan is either 5w-40 or 5w-30. Now, primarily both oils are there is a slight difference in hot viscosity. The 5w40 might be a better choice for reasons like extended oil change interval and better performance.
Let us understand the viscosity rating of different oil types. When we read 5w30 or 5w40 what does it actually mean?
Well, to your knowledge the number before the w refers to the cold or winter viscosity rating of the oil. The number after the w refers to the hot viscosity rating of the oil.
Let’s learn more about these oil types.
Also read: Are Volkswagens Reliable? (and Models to Avoid)
Pros and Cons of Using Different Oil Types
To decide which one of the two choices is better one must know the pros and cons.
- 5w-30 Oil
- It has a lower thickness as compared to the 5w-40 oil. This makes it lighter and also allows for better fuel consumption.
- The flow of this oil is greater than that of 5w-40.
- This oil works easily in various temperatures as well as in various types of vehicles.
- It is ideal for colder weather conditions.
- It offers better engine protection.
- It is not suitable for use in hot weather conditions.
- It is not suitable for vehicles that haul heavy loads or are used for frequent inter-city driving.
- 5w-40 Oil
- It offers a higher temperature range from -25 to 35 degrees Celsius as compared to 5w-30.
- It also offers a much higher operating pressure.
- It works better for a higher mileage engine.
- This oil is well suited for areas with warmer temperatures.
- It is also very affordable, which makes it cost-effective.
- It offers a better fuel economy, which helps save up on oil costs.
- It offers reduced flow as compared to the 5w-30 oil as it has a thicker consistency.
How Long Will Each Type Last?
The 5w-30 oil should be changed every 3 months or after the car has completed 3000 miles. As for the 5w-40 oil, it should be changed every 10,000 miles. This shows that the 5w-40 oil lasts much longer than the 5w-30.
What are the Best Brands of Engine Oil Products for the 2012 Volkswagen Tiguan?
Let’s find out about the best brands of engine oil for your vehicle.
Castrol Edge Euro Car
Castrol offers both 5w-30 and 5w-40 oil for the 2012 VW Tiguan. It easily transforms under high pressure and helps prevent oil breakdown by increasing film strength.
This helps it last longer so that you can save up on oil costs. In addition to that, it helps improve performance by minimizing friction in the engine.
It has been specially designed using the latest technology for high-output engines that work under extreme temperatures. For this reason, it fulfills European OEM gasoline standards for VW/Audi, Porsche, Mercedes-Benz, and BMW.
Liqui Moly is another great brand that provides you with the best oil for your 2012 Volkswagen Tiguan. It manufactures low friction, high-quality oil that is fully synthetic. This oil can easily be used in both diesel and gasoline engines without the need to use diesel particulate filters.
This is another great brand that provides you with 5w-40 oil for your vehicle. They manufacture premium quality fully synthetic oil using the latest additive technology and high-quality synthetic base oils. The oil comes with high detergency that helps ensure cleanliness for your engine.
It also provides protection to emissions control systems such as diesel particulate filters. This oil also meets almost all quality standards so it can be used for various vehicles.
Also read: Does Volkswagen Keep Value? 6 Popular Models Value Loss
How To Change the Oil in the 2012 VW Tiguan?
Follow the instructions below to change the oil in your 2012 VW Tiguan.
- Star bit screwdriver
- 3/9-inch drive ratchet
- Used oil catch basin
- Automotive funnel
- Engine oil
- Begin by warming up your engine for just a few minutes. This allows the oil to drain out more quickly and suspends the contaminants within the used oil.
- Next, park your vehicle on a flat-level surface. Turn off the ignition. To prevent any movement of the vehicle, cover both sides of the two rear wheels with wheel chocks.
- Twist the oil filler cap to loosen it and lift the dipstick handle but only partially. This helps prevent the forming of a vacuum and allows the used oil to drain quickly and easily.
- While doing this check the level of engine oil as well. Just to ensure that it’s low. Or if it is too dirty and needs changing.
- If your engine oil dipstick is hard to read you may use a sandpaper to make the surface a little rough, so that oil sticks better on it.
- Take all the tools and slide under the engine bay.
- Remove the necessary screws and bolts and place them aside.
- Allow the used oil to drain out into the used oil catch basin.
- Replace the oil drain bolt and oil drain plug and other screws and bolts that you removed.
- Fill in the new oil into the oil pump in the engine of the car using the automotive funnel.
- Tighten the oil filler cap and you’re good to go.
What is the Cost of Oil Replacement for VW Tiguan?
On average, oil replacement for the VW Tiguan costs around $117. This includes approximately $71 for labor and $46 for parts. However, the prices may vary based on your location.
- Does VW Tiguan require synthetic oil?
Answer: Yes, the VW Tiguan is designed in such a way that models built after the year 2004 require synthetic oil for operation. This is because the engine of this vehicle is at a greater risk of getting clogged with impurities as compared to other vehicles.
- How much oil does a VW Tiguan take?
Answer: The VW Tiguan has an oil pump that can be filled up with 6 quarts of engine oil. This helps reduce the frequency of engine oil changes required.
- What oil does VW recommend?
Answer: VW recommends premium quality synthetic oil of either 5w-40 or 5w-30 viscosity rating.
enginepatrol.com, www.differencebetween.net, itstillruns.com, www.thetruckstop.us, autolablibertyville.com, shop.advanceautoparts.com, www.paulstravelpictures.com, www.yourmechanic.com